Rebellion

Zombie Army

Observations / suggestions / grievances

Posted 4 years ago

- Far too few walls / parapets / fences / window sills can be mantled / vaulted, far fewer than NZA1/2 and this makes maps feel claustrophobic and 'canned'; but of more import, it reduces in-game strategic options (*Village of the Dead -- cannot exit first floor of house, which makes solo play infuriating as the 'martyr' Zeds always get to the top where the player has nowhere to run. Why the arbitrary and miserly implementation of interactable level geometry?)
- Walls / level geometry no longer seems to shield ANY of the blast from explosives, making placement of traps very difficult and almost pointless / suicidal in many instances (*Even explosives placed floors above another trap cause chain-explosions)
- Generic red gas canisters cannot be picked up and used strategically, and cannot even be kicked! (*Wut? Why?! Surely kicking them wouldn't take much effort to implement...)
- Melee attacks / their impact on enemies feels far too light, yet melee-ing is clearly overpowered (*Melee needs more 'oomph!' but made less damaging)
- Gun balance issues (SMGs lack ballistic impact; HGs are all useless next to the six-shooter; SGs besides Preacher suck and yet break Horde mode scoring)
- Re. Horde mode scoring^ -- scoring system is broken, where combos are rewarded for consecutive hits on Zeds, irrespective of gun used, time taken between hits, whether the player gets hit during a chain or even if they go down! (*Why aren't scoped rifle shots rewarded more handsomely and large body mass shots with SGs less to incentivise more skilled and less 'Gear of Bore' play styles in Horde mode?)
- Glowing green 'toxic' sniper Zeds cannot kill a player unless they're already well injured, as they always fly off after landing a shot instead of finishing a player off. Moreover, they seemingly cannot head-shot a player with their spud-firing(?) rifles (*Make them harder and not so reliant on cheap kills while the player is wounded -- they're meant to be the approximate equivalent of the player, not just annoying flies)
- Radar gives away positions of flying Sniper Zeds (*There was no GPS tracking in 1945 that I know of, even with secret Nazi scientists' advances in technology. It's fine for the shamblers, as it just saves time... even if the Horde maps aren't anywhere big enough to get lost in. But it ruins the idea of lithe. flying snipers and turns them into an annoyance, rather than threat. The radar should be a toggle-able OPTION, not forced on the player)
- Game needs bot support for solo play (*In a game so co-op and SNIPER RIFLE centric, playing without someone watching one's back feels just plain wrong)
[continued...]

Posted 4 years ago

- LAN / local support should be considered (*Again, for a co-op centric game, all applicable functionality should be provided for, A) for game longevity, B) for easy of co-op play, and C) to circumvent lag for those experiencing it)
- Multiplayer bullet cam seems bugged (*I've had the full slow motion effect occur in MP games causing de-syncing. Other times the option doesn't work at all / the way it's meant to. MP bullet cam should be in real time speed and work as it does in SP, only for whoever checks the option box in MP games)
- Add some individuality to the characters s they're not merely skins (*For example, one character is calmer / lower heart rate, another has stronger melees and another again is a faster sprinter)
- Re=instate the cover mechanic, especially in light of the lack of mantling / vaulting options and also the binoculars (*Why remove mechanics people liked?)
- Provide a 'friendly fire' option for those who like their games hard(er)core and so as to allow for ad hoc versus play (*full damage of weapons -- head-shot from rifle = death)
Beldeth

Administrator

Posted 4 years ago

Thanks for the information guys. Some great feedback here.

Posted 4 years ago

I made a thread very similar to this in the Steam forums for the game, but I'll post it here since you'll probably see this feedback a bit more I imagine.
- I agree with above that a lot of vaulting spots have been removed which make the map rather linear at times. I noticed this in Cathedral of Resurrection when trying to vault over the ledge in the house second floor, which I always did in NZA1.
- I have also noticed chain reaction explosions happen through walls and floors. Dunno if this is a new problem to the series though.
- Kicks are overpowered in my opinion, at least with some enemies. The Steam forums are split pretty 60/40 on this one. Many argue that the skeletons are really not a threat at all anymore since you can kill them with a kick. Heck, you can kill three with a single kick. Heck, you can kick the pentagram and kill a skeleton before it even rises from the pentagram! It's noticeably easier to shoot their heart anyway in ZAT compared to NZA, which is enough really. Also, if you kick a zombie crawling up from the ground you also kill it instantaneously, with the zombie disintegrating right away. Seems unusual... In regular combat someone mentioned the kicks are more reliable and damaging than a shotgun blast (especially with armoured zombies - these are a joke with kicks/stomps).
- I haven't noticed any problems with the SMGs or pistols really, but most Steam forum members agree the 12 Gauge has been criminally nerfed. In NZA you could blow away 3 zombies with a single blast, in ZAT you're lucky to get two. Sometimes you can't even kill one! What happened to this staple weapon in zombie slaughtering culture? The Preacher also seems less effective against Elites and bigger enemies which I don't understand, since that is what players actually use it for.
- Many have expressed distress over the removal of binoculars and the cover system. I personally am not fussed but the majority is unhappy.
[continued below]

Posted 4 years ago

[continued from above]
- Inability to disable or miniaturize the big scoreboard in the top right has some people scratching their heads, me included. I'm not particularly fussed about scores, and you can see the scores at the end of the mission anyway. I'd rather not have the large black area blocking vision of the amazing atmosphere and aesthetic of the game :)
- A few people mentioned the X-Ray camera in solo rarely shows organ destruction anymore. It triggers very often with headshots but very rarely for organ or bone-shattering shots. MP bulletcam is the same with it rarely triggering - apart from skeletons. With camera set to normal frequency I get a cam every second skeleton kill. Someone mentioned this might be because body shots with the rifle seem weaker than it used to be.
- No one else has mentioned this, but why does every single regular zombie have the same body? A grey/green tunic, an exposed ribcage, tears on the thighs and arms. In NZA the zombie models were more varied, with burnt zombies, older decayed zombies, many with their chests not blown open, some wore the WaffenSS camo instead of a tunic. What happened here? In the cutscenes for each Episode you can still see this variation, but not at all during gameplay.
- Flaming Zombies. Only thing we have to say about this is that it looks and feels strange to land only 1 shot and they dissipate (instead of dropping to the ground like they did in NZA). Also not a threat anymore since they've been drastically slowed down since NZA and severely weakened. They look great this time around though. Just not when they die.
Sorry for that awfully long post, but it seems it's been a while since we saw a developer respond to the Steam Forums, I assume because of the weekend and enjoying your game launch which is understandable. Some of them may seem nitpicky, but I can't help it really, the Nazi Zombie Army series has become one of my favourite games of all time for it's unparalleled atmosphere, hellish environments and sounds and grotesque creatures which scared the pants off us seeing them 2 years ago. It's just a bit of a shame a lot of us don't get that feeling with the skeletons or flaming zombies anymore. Even the normal zombies seem boring now due to them all looking identical. All that said, congratulations on the release Rebellion, I'm still really enjoying it - but I do hope to see continued support and interaction with the community's feedback. You've done an unreal job of that pre-release, keep it up!

Posted 4 years ago

That is why the game didn't came out on DISC....yet, I'm sure ZOMBIE ARMY new game will be much, much better :) I like to see RPG return to ZOMBIE game!
1) Create your character. Like MASS EFFECT.
2) Choose your classes....Medic, Assualt, Point Man, Heavy, Light, Engineer, Commander, Scout, Translator (read other languages)
3) Binoculars, bonus...high lights all zombies, traps & explosions plus total counts of zombies!
4) Weapons camo
5) Graphic as good from CAPCOM VS MARVEL 3 cell-shade, check it on YOUTUBE
6) Gamercard like CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE.
7) RANK Leveling up, each Rank promotes increases Stats abilities UP!....MAX RANK equal MAX STATS ABILITIES!
8) I agreed the guys above. Keep it up ;) 4 Players are so much fun!
and last, give us 10-15 minutes break after 3 missions LOL...thank you ;)

Posted 4 years ago

After playing some campaign mode:
- Interactable geometry really has been overlooked in this version of the game, as many open windows are effective invisible walls, thus entering houses is a no-no (no escape route) and so level progression turns into an almost Gears of War -linear. Doors also attract the same criticism.
- Sniper zombies without the radar blips are indeed more threatening, albeit only when accompanied by allies (*shot damage too low / no head-shot ability) and having to shoot them twice before they fly off is a cheap way to buff their potency and removes the ability to [satisfyingly] one-shot head-shot them
- No pick-up animations or button cues for explosive items (*Although the full ammo pick-up sequence isn't necessary, a hand reaching out would be nice and also make the action feel more deliberate / actually there)
- Shambler zombies' speed too slow which, coupled with melee effectiveness of melee, renders them utter fodder (*some should sprint, others run, and other again meander -- all moving at the same speed removes their threat, no matter how hellishly they screech)
- Skeletons bust apart from a toe flick yet can absorb untold amounts of ordnance when not shot in their 'weak spot' (*Either make the weak spot the ONLY weak spot, either from firearms or melee, or just give them a more logical level of health / resistance. That subway section in the fifth chapter of the first game used to be tricky to survive and now it's a cakewalk (beat it first time in single-player / Elite / 2P enemy count))
- Sniping seems distinctly easier / less influenced by gravity, heart rate and stance. (*I'm finding 100m+ kill-shots only need direct aiming to achieve successful hits. A 154m kill of a sniper zombie was aimed directly where the bullet struck the target)
- Heart rate does not increase as much as it logically should and recovers too quickly (*Sprinting or melee-ing should raise the heart rate massively - 120bmp, at least - and doing thus for a prolonged period should take it to an anaerobic level... especially considering the circumstances the actions are taking place in, the fitness of combatants in the mid 1900's and jarring transition from fighting / running to sniper scope aiming. Dropping to 60bpm in seconds is 'Yuri Geller unrealistic' and panders only to casual gamers who'll choose the easiest game setting anyway and alienate those who want a genuine challenge)
- New reel graphics filter is a nice touch, but needs more draw distance / ranged visibility (*Fully scoped German rifle cannot see Zeds from ~75m in this graphical setting, making the mode artificially difficult to play in)

Posted 4 years ago

- Sniping seems distinctly easier / less influenced by gravity, heart rate and stance. (*I'm finding 100m+ kill-shots only need direct aiming to achieve successful hits. A 154m kill of a sniper zombie was aimed directly where the bullet struck the target)
Sniping feels a bit easier, but that it is less influenced by gravity and wind is not the reason. Because I still have to adjust aim according to distance and wind.

Posted 4 years ago

I play on the hardest difficulty, sniper elite, with the spawns ranked up to the max. its great fun, though I must say, I didn't notice this minimap.... is this a issue when playing on lower difficulties?

Posted 4 years ago

I don't know of any "mini map". I'm referring to the indicator icons which appear over the last three remaining enemies of each way -- they reveal the locations of enemies anywhere on the map, even through level geometry.
This seems to fly in the face of not only a sniper game where said class of combatant is meant to remain hidden, but also from the WWII themed perspective --- it's a game, granted, but players cannot use GPRS locators for a reason.
Some more stuff:
- Horde scoring system either needs to go and only keep track of accuracy, wave reached etc -OR- should to be overhauled to make "combos" equate to something more befitting the term. (*ATM, any hit on an enemy will result in the "combo" remaining intact and even the player being hit, wiffing kicks or being knocked down will not affect the score multiplier. Combos should either be restricted to chains like, KILL-SHOTS, a single weapon UNTIL TOTAL HELD AMMO RUNS DRY, consecutive scoped kill-shots, kills in a row without incurring damage to the player...
- Randomise Horde mode enemy spawns (*In order to surprise players and keep them on their toes).
- Mutators for Horde mode (*For diversity, challenge and fun. Examples: force "news grain" filter for a time; remove permanent ammo stores for a time; (if possible) change the weather conditions or night/day cycle as waves proceed; unique enemy spawns, such as many more snipers or a boss wave; head-shot-only waves for shambler fodder; weak spot -only waves for skeletons; suicide runners -only wave...)
- Stagger thunder to trail lightning flashes (*My own pet peeve, but it's present in the first game, yet seems to have gone back to that old, bad, lazy video gaming / filmic trope in later chapters. It adds to immersions and speaks to the attention to detail taken)

Posted 4 years ago

I don't know of any "mini map". I'm referring to the indicator icons which appear over the last three remaining enemies of each way -- they reveal the locations of enemies anywhere on the map, even through level geometry.
This seems to fly in the face of not only a sniper game where said class of combatant is meant to remain hidden, but also from the WWII themed perspective --- it's a game, granted, but players cannot use GPRS locators for a reason.
Some more stuff:
- Horde scoring system either needs to go and only keep track of accuracy, wave reached etc -OR- should to be overhauled to make "combos" equate to something more befitting the term. (*ATM, any hit on an enemy will result in the "combo" remaining intact and even the player being hit, wiffing kicks or being knocked down will not affect the score multiplier. Combos should either be restricted to chains like, KILL-SHOTS, a single weapon UNTIL TOTAL HELD AMMO RUNS DRY, consecutive scoped kill-shots, kills in a row without incurring damage to the player...
- Randomise Horde mode enemy spawns (*In order to surprise players and keep them on their toes).
- Mutators for Horde mode (*For diversity, challenge and fun. Examples: force "news grain" filter for a time; remove permanent ammo stores for a time; (if possible) change the weather conditions or night/day cycle as waves proceed; unique enemy spawns, such as many more snipers or a boss wave; head-shot-only waves for shambler fodder; weak spot -only waves for skeletons; suicide runners -only wave...)
- Stagger thunder to trail lightning flashes (*My own pet peeve, but it's present in the first game, yet seems to have gone back to that old, bad, lazy video gaming / filmic trope in later chapters. It adds to immersions and speaks to the attention to detail taken)
I love your feedback.

Posted 4 years ago

^ I live to give. (° ل͜ ͡°)
It's a good game that yearns for a tweaks here and there to really make it stand out -- stuff that could reasonably patched-fixed. Of course, ideas for actual content additions are endless. But there's only so much post-release development that can be feasible / financially viable. But even if everything [good] isn't implemented into this game, perhaps the suggestions with spark ideas for any future franchise iteration...

Posted 4 years ago

- The pointing system needs to be fixed, the more I play ZAT the more it feels like the entire arsenal is nerfed for the sake of the pointing system. the submachine guns an headshot was an headshot. now in ZAT MP44 I kid you not I had to shoot 4x single fire with care to kill a single zombie unit with an headshot.
- Besides fighting zombie snipers I am not using the scope at all, only Ctrl aim. because well. Long distance short distance it doesnt matter for points, even on elite difficulty I have no problem with close ranged bolt rifle action and if it looks like they are gona overwhelm me for a second a nade and tadaa 15 kills. best way to increase your score.
*sigh*. In zombie ZA1/2 I would often play missions where I used the mp44 and tried to get headshots up to 50 meters or just 20 meter headshots with a pistol, even if the pointing system wasn't rewarding that so much, but now it feels like one of the MMORPG games where you have to fetch 50 items to finish a quest. because lets face it, the multiplier pointing system of whichever genius came up with it broke the entire gameplay shooting mechanics of the game which I think the majority of the players in peace with.
So for the love of the game. Get rid of the current pointing system and fix the weapons. What I would like to see and hopefully the other players too is points based on range and bonus if you manage to get another headshot in a short timeframe.

Posted 4 years ago

The MP44 is a spud shooter. Utterly useless. I use the Ruski ratta tat tat, as the the others feel weak. The handguns aren't as bad / useless nest to the six-shooter as I first thought, but they have strange quirks -- e.g., the Luger head-shots pretty well IF, and only IF you aim for the forehead / pate.
I use scope. But, admittedly, you could pretty much avoid the function entirely if it weren't for the flying snipers and some bosses. I'm not sure whether this is due to the crutch that kicking is and therefore keeping enemies at range feels optional, or because the enemies themselves simply aren't particularly threatening (probably a combination of both). But I do think if one ignores the scoring system / scoreboards and makes up their own 'rules' for (meaningful) combos - like, scoped head-shots only or handgun head-shots - such ad hoc 'achievements' can be enjoyable.

Posted 4 years ago

- Allow the story mode on-screen score display to be toggle-able (*Kind of irrelevant in this mode and it breaks immersion and is even somewhat distracting)
- Remove 'streak' effect left in the wake of flying snipers (*They're already glowing fluorescent green(!), so the streak-cum-location indicator line is a borderline absurd crutch to help players locate enemies that are meant to be hidden. A compromise could be that if a sniper is shot and not killed and subsequently flees, it leaves a streak as it always does now. However, if the sniper lands a hit on a player, it can flee WITHOUT this tell-tale footprint. This way the player would be rewarded for landing a [non kill] shot, as too the enemy for its successful efforts. As it stands, a non kill-shot on a flying sniper is a waste of ammo unless a second, coup de grâce can be landed before the sniper takes off. >Can the sniper even be shot while motion?

Please sign in to post.