Here are my suggestions to add more authenticity to the series (at least for that difficulty level):
Switching Weapons Animation
- The original Sniper Elite had realistic animations for switching weapons. You had to fully sling your sniper rifle, for example, before retrieving your SMG or pistol. Sniper Elite 3 and 4 opts instead for a quick animation of your weapon nearly instantaneously appearing in your hand once selected. I understand that gamers want weapon selection to be quick, but for those of us who crave authenticity, give us the option to have the full weapon switching animation play out like in the first game.
Weapon Mechanics and Sounds
Bring back Sniper Elite 3's weapons system:
- Rifles were noticeably louder and the vibration feedback in the controller was greater.
- Reloading sounds played through the PS4 controller's speaker
- RIFLE CUSTOMIZATION!!!
Player and Enemy AI Health
- I would love to see nonlethal wounds play out more realistically. Instead of having the player and the AI shake off those hits as if there were mosquito bites, why not have the the hit affect the player and enemy's physical capabilities? For example, a hit in the arm would impact aiming. A hit in the leg would eliminate the ability to sprint. (Bonus points if a limping animation could be added!) A shot to the torso that doesn't impact a vital organ should impact breathing -- higher BPM (more scope wobble) and the inability to perform empty lung.
- Instead of having bandages and medkits restore health, why not just have them stop the bleeding like they do in real life. On the authentic difficulty especially, this would force to player to really try his best to avoid getting shot because whatever impairments he receives during the mission must be endured for the entire duration of the mission.
- Make weapons and items have weight to them. If a player decides to carry more items in the field, that should have an impact on movement speed. This will force the player to make a choice on speed vs utility. This is what real-life soldiers have to contend with every time they go into the field. (I'm an Army veteran, so I speak from firsthand experience.)
- Bring back weapon-specific ammunition. If I'm carrying the Springfield, then only rounds specifically design for that weapon should work. I dislike the move to generic ammunition. I miss the days when I had to be more selective with my targets because I knew the likelihood of finding ammunition for my American weapon was slim. If I ran out of ammo for my weapon, I was forced to pick up an enemy weapon, one that I wasn't as familiar with. That adds a strategic element to the game.
I'd like to see a skill-based melee system implemented, one that forces the player to actually fight instead of relying on insta-kill animations. It gives us a consequence for trying to fight enemies upclose. Sniper Elite 3 sorta had this, but it wasn't expanded upon in 4, unfortunately.