Rebellion

Battlezone

PSVR tracking issues

Posted 2 years ago

Interesting. I've asked our QA to see if they can reproduce this at all. It would very useful if you could capture this in a video for us. 

Well, I guess this rules out my theory of  this being a fix for drifting. :joy:

Posted 2 years ago

I plan on having a good session this weekend. I'll see if I can grab a video of it happening.

Posted 2 years ago - edited 2 years ago by xxv22

Didn't play as much as I wanted to over the weekend, but I've got the day off work so figured I'd get my tank on.

The view shift happens if the tank (and therefore my view) is at an angle (on a ramp, etc) when the mission ends.

When the end-of-mission display pops up, it is initially angled as the world around me was but then re-orients itself to be vertical. After this re-orientation, my view of the tank is off-center and I need to turn my head to look straight forwards.

I completely failed at capturing it on video though.

Posted 2 years ago

Didn't play as much as I wanted to over the weekend, but I've got the day off work so figured I'd get my tank on.

The view shift happens if the tank (and therefore my view) is at an angle (on a ramp, etc) when the mission ends.

When the end-of-mission display pops up, it is initially angled as the world around me was but then re-orients itself to be vertical. After this re-orientation, my view of the tank is off-center and I need to turn my head to look straight forwards.

Insomniac

Posted 2 years ago

Interesting, I will see if I can get the same thing to happen.

Posted 2 years ago

so i send it my psvr + camera and after 2 weeks they said they cant repare it and gave me my full money back. So i guess its confirmed to be a hardware issue?

I just bought a new unit on amazon that will arrive soon and will see if has the drift as well or not

Judge_Moist

Posted 2 years ago

so i send it my psvr + camera and after 2 weeks they said they cant repare it and gave me my full money back. So i guess its confirmed to be a hardware issue?

I just bought a new unit on amazon that will arrive soon and will see if has the drift as well or not

Thanks for the reply, Jane. We're trying to keep an open mind here but it would be nice to hear something official from Sony if it really is a hardware issue.

Nobody wants to be moist.

Posted 2 years ago - edited 2 years ago by xxv22

Grabbed a video of it and took a couple of stills to demonstrate. Apologies for the quality, my phone's a bit shit.

Uploaded 'em here: https://imgur.com/a/zQdqx

It's like the view angle correction is pivoting using the top left instead of the centre. Gets worse on steep slopes or if I'm looking off somewhere odd that exacerbates the angle or whatever.

Posted 2 years ago

Grabbed a video of it and took a couple of stills to demonstrate.

Uploaded 'em here: https://imgur.com/a/zQdqx

It's like the view angle correction is pivoting using the top left instead of the centre. Gets worse on steep slopes or if I'm looking off somewhere odd that exacerbates the angle or whatever.

Insomniac

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks for the images! It is tricky to see the effect from stills, but gives an idea what to look for. I will have a go at cliff-diving at the end of some levels and see what happens.

Posted 2 years ago

I've managed to fix the drifting problem on my setup..... 

I had the same view drifting problem and would end up pointing at a 45 degree angle after only about 30 mins of play, was defo worse on Battlezone though. I think simply because holding options button doesn't reset the cockpit.

Anyway..... I sit about 6 ft away on a bean bag, 50" TV with camera on top. I used to keep the dimmable room lights as low as possible thinking that the camera needs to see the headset lights better. However since I've started turning up the room lights behind where I'm sitting, the drifting problem has stopped. Just played 3 hours solid and no drift at all. So for me it is a setup issue, not hardware. 

I have LED coloured back lights on the TV.

Also have Philips coloured hue lights behind me in each corner of the room which are set to rotate colours all the time. 

Have 2 wall mounted lights behind me with white dimmable LED bulbs in. 

I agree that holding the options button in Battlezone should reset the whole tank cockpit to help people who suffer with this. If I remember right that's the way the X-WING VR mission works in Battlefront, (or maybe it's the COD freebie mission) the whole cockpit resets when you hold the options button. 

Hope this helps and love the game! Also.... Hoping patch helps with the game being too rock hard to complete in multiplayer. Even on Easy and short I haven't been able to complete a multiplayer campaign. Maybe I'm just really crap though :-) 

Posted 2 years ago

Is there any more news on this? I'm having the same problem with this game. The view is shifting to the left sometimes and 'options' doesn't recenter it horizontally (only vertically). In other games like Eve:Valkyrie I can use Options to recenter my view totally based on how I have my head positioned. It would be great of Battlezone could have the same feature.

Currently I have to turn my headset off / on every time I want to fix this.

Judge_Moist

Posted 2 years ago

Hi GalacticMistake, sorry to hear you're having problems. To the best of our knowledge, this isn't something we're able to fix and has been anecdotally traced to hardware or setup issues in the past. We've been trying to get an official response from Sony on the issue. 

We did investigate adding an orientation reset to the 'options' reset but were advised against it as it essentially allows people to play in any direction, rather than facing the camera as the system is intended to work. To the best of our knowledge, no first-party game (like Rigs, for example) uses this kind of reset behaviour.

Nobody wants to be moist.

Posted 2 years ago

... We did investigate adding an orientation reset to the 'options' reset but were advised against it as it essentially allows people to play in any direction, rather than facing the camera as the system is intended to work.

To the best of our knowledge, no first-party game (like Rigs, for example) uses this kind of reset behaviour.

Okay that makes sense, but I consider Eve:Valkyrie a first-party game and it has exactly that reset behavior and it works great for people who have the drifting issues.

I wish you would go middle ground and make the headset view 'snap' back horizontally towards the camera. Then people won't be able to sit backwards and play, but it does allow them to reset their headset if the image drifts.

I guess I will have to keep switching the headset off and on to fix this problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi GalacticMistake, sorry to hear you're having problems. To the best of our knowledge, this isn't something we're able to fix and has been anecdotally traced to hardware or setup issues in the past. We've been trying to get an official response from Sony on the issue. 

We did investigate adding an orientation reset to the 'options' reset but were advised against it as it essentially allows people to play in any direction, rather than facing the camera as the system is intended to work. To the best of our knowledge, no first-party game (like Rigs, for example) uses this kind of reset behaviour.

So the advice is "let people sit the wrong way because they cannot reset" instead of "let people decide if they want to sit the wrong way"?  It seems to me no one would choose to sit not facing the camera (what you end up with now if you experience the drift), and even if someone choses to... it will be their choice and not something enforced, they'll ruin their own experience, right?

Thankfully I don't have the drift issue much, only once in a while, but still annoying to need to reset the VR set to "fix" the problem.

After reading Burggins post above:  If I experience drift again I'll check my lighting at that time. Never thought that could be something, but I do have different lighting at various times.

Please sign in to post.

Sign in to search.

Please sign in to post.