Rebellion

Battlezone PC Beta

Any way to use a KB and Mouse (or plans to implement it)?

Posted 2 years ago

Just finished a few hours on BZ VR (on vive). Love the game but I am old school and find the xbox controller difficult to use. Is there any way to use a keyboard and mouse? Or any plans to put it in as an option down the road? I have a XIM4 and will try to get it to work with the xbox controller and kb mouse.. If anyone has done it already please let me know. Kudos to the devs. The game is great so far.

Posted 2 years ago

Same. Loving the game, but frustrated by the controls. I'm using Oculus touch and feel that mouse and keyboard would be better. 

Utilising the 6DOF of  Vive controllers / Oculus touch / PS Move though... that would take it to a whole other level! 

Judge_Moist

Posted 2 years ago

Hi folks, thanks for playing! Mouse and keyboard is something we'd like to get in at some point but has its own issues (steering the tank, for example, becomes a bit of a 'keep having to pick up the mouse over and over' problem, due to the fixed rate of turn). There are workarounds we've been looking into but I don't have any ETA for them right now.

Touch controllers is something we've looked into too, both on Vive, Rift and PSVR. Unfortunately we haven't found a really good way of getting them to work well as all the controllers have different numbers of buttons, sticks, etc. They're certainly something we're keen to do more with in the future though.

Nobody wants to be moist.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Moist, thanks for replying. 

I have a really clear idea for implementing 6DOF touch controllers for hover tanks. If I knocked up a little demo in Unity, you think the Rebellion devs would take a look at it? 

Judge_Moist

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Moist, thanks for replying. 

I have a really clear idea for implementing 6DOF touch controllers for hover tanks. If I knocked up a little demo in Unity, you think the Rebellion devs would take a look at it? 

Absolutely! As you can imagine, it's something quite close to our hearts. If you could start a support ticket via battlezone.support@rebellion.co.uk, the community guys can work out the best way to get it to us.

Posted 2 years ago

Awesome, I definitely will put something together. Can I ask first though, did you guys experiment much with using the position and orientation of the controllers themselves? I think it would feel really natural, closer to tank controls (like the original arcade game), but with 2 6DOF controllers replacing the 2 forward/back levers, you have an excess of axes available for movement & turning as well as aiming the turret...

Judge_Moist

Posted 2 years ago

At one point, we had one hand that was controlling the forward and lateral movement of the tank and the cannon's elevation on the other. Rotation was controlled by rolling either controller left or right. It was workable but quite clunky and fell by the wayside in the effort to get the game ready for beta.

Posted 2 years ago

Ah right, yeah I can see that would be awkward.  I was thinking position of both controllers combined defines forward and lateral motion, turning is done by putting one hand further forward than the other (just like a real tank). Controller pitch maps directly to turret pitch, and you could use controller yaw for turret yaw too, if the game supported it. Anyway hopefully I will get some time in the next few days to put a thing together. Doing that this week is time spent not in the beta though! ;D

Posted 2 years ago

Well after playing around a little I can happily report that you CAN use a XIM4 to play BattlezoneVR on an HTC Vive with a keyboard and mouse. I used the Elite Sniper 4 translator (comes by default with the XIM4 manager)  and modified the config to allow me to use a game pad (Logitech G13) and a Logitech G500 mouse to run BZVR.  Based on the XIM4's specs I believe you could use any keyboard of your choosing and probably a joystick (I have yet to test my joystick). I was not very comfortable with the Xbox controller and this has instantly made the game much more enjoyable to play.  Aiming with the mouse is excellent. The game has gone for good to great for me!

Insomniac

Posted 2 years ago

Interesting, how does it treat the mouse movement? Is it like a virtual thumb-stick where you have to move it back to the middle to stop rotating, or like a classic FPS so you have to keep lifting the mouse to move it more? Or something else?

Posted 2 years ago

The mouse movement is very much like the original BZ or BZ2 on PC (or even some of the FPS games of the past). It directs the aiming recticle (turret). I use keypad ASDW for forward back and side to side. The mouse and keyboard work well combined for strafing. I remember the old BZ1 and 2 had a leveling feature which you needed to make the mouse level properly (if I am remembering that correctly). I was concerned something like that would be an issue here but it isn't. It just works. I still want to tweak it with the XIM4 config but out of the box it's a huge improvement. It makes the game more immersive because I am not always struggling with the controller. Part of that is my lack of experience with the Xbox controller, but I think this is just a better way to control the tank. You just instantly get it.

Posted 2 years ago

Sorry I didn't address your question directly in that last post. No, the mouse doesn't perform like a joystick and no I don't lift it at all. It is more like a look feature. On the xbox controller the up and down and turret turning feature are on the right joystick. Forward and back are turret up and down. Left and right are turn the turret (I believe). With the mouse its forward and back to raise and lower the turret and side to side to turn it. But the movement is intuitive and very precise. I can  keep the recticle on moving targets or pick things out of the air while in motion with ease. The mouse movement translates better to game play.

Insomniac

Posted 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

So, if you wanted to quickly turn the tank 180 degrees, what sort of mouse movement would that require?

Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago

So if I want to turn the tank I use either A or D. I believe that turns each track. If I want to turn the turret I sweep to one side with the mouse.   Much like FPS games, you use them together to strafe. Never actually watched my tank in third person so this is just my concept of what is happening. But I am pretty sure it is accurate.

Cheers.

Please sign in to post.

Sign in to search.

Please sign in to post.